Chairman's Report

Chairman's Report 20th Sept 16

Chairman's Report for FoBRA Committee 20th Sept 16

Placemaking Plan – Examination in Public

By the time you read this report, the 3-week Examination in Public will be under way in the Guildhall. FoBRA is taking part in the following "Matters":

• 2 – Overall approach – pm 13th Sept
• 4 – Environmental quality – am 14th Sept
• 7&8 – A36/46 and Traffic Planning – pm 15th Sept
• 12 – Site allocations (including flooding) – pm 20th Sept
• 13 – Universities – all day 21st Sept
• 15 – Transport, infrastructure & delivery – all day 22nd Sept
All sessions are open to the public. Details at: http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/planning-and-building-control/planning-policy/placemaking-plan/placemaking-plan-examinati-0. I shall be reporting on progress at the 20th Sept Committee meeting.

National Organization of Residents' Associations (NORA)

Having sought advice from Ian Perkins of TARA, FoBRA submitted its response to The House of Lords' Select Committee on the Licensing Act 2003. This was circulated to representatives on 29th Aug 16.

The Law Commission invites proposals for law reform annually, and NORA has sought ideas from its members. The Secretary has responded on the subject of Leasehold Law.

NORA, in association with the University of Durham, staged a national conference about Student Housing Policy on 20th July. Caroline Kay, Chief Executive of the Bath Preservation Trust, attended, and will be reporting to us about it at the 20th Sept Committee meeting (as no FoBRA representative was available). The NORA note on proceedings at the conference can be found at Annex A.

As last year, I formed part of the NORA team at its annual meeting with the Chief Planner, Steve Quartermain, in the Department for Communities and Local Government on 17th Aug 16. We discussed the following subjects:
• Space Standards – apparently due to be reviewed by Ministers, so there's hope, despite the unsatisfactory reply to our MP on the subject!
• Developers' improper behaviour.
• The shortage of housing
• Legislative conflicts
• Student housing
• Brownfield first
• National population explosion

The minutes can be found at Annex B.

Neighbourhood Planning

The Government has just published the Neighbourhood Planning Bill, which is designed to improve the procedures for implementing Neighbourhood Plans. There are two consultation papers seeking a response from those involved in preparing and implementing the planning regime in Neighbourhood Plans and ensuring the legality of them and the support of local authorities. If anyone is interested, please contact me.

Student Housing Policy

Members will be aware of FoBRA's campaign to ensure the Council adopts a Student Housing policy. We have submitted evidence to the Placemaking Plan Inspector of relevant developments at Durham, and will be discussing these at the Examination in Public on 21st Sept - see Annex C. Secondly, we wrote to the Chronicle about the agreement between town and gown in Oxford, which could act as a model here; and this letter was published (twice!) – see 'FoBRA Papers' on our website.

Council Refuse Policy

I wrote in my last Report about the Council's new refuse policy, with a mixture of both wheelie bins and more black gull-proof waste bags being considered in tackling the continuing litter problem in Bath. We have an agenda item on this at the 20th Sept meeting, with pressure from several members, particularly in questioning the advisability of fortnightly collections and of gull-proof sacks in Georgian streets where many houses are divided and few have room for storage.

Related to this is a new national anti-litter movement called 'Zilch UK' which aims to make littering the streets as unacceptable as (say) smoking in public places. Visit www.zilch.org.uk to find out more, including free badges!

Parliamentary Constituency Boundary Change Proposals:

The proposed Parliamentary boundary changes for Bath would bring in a big swathe of the environs – see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-32695546

Lansdown Bomb

At Annex D you will find a report from the Lansdown Crescent Association on the unexploded bomb incident there last May, with 'Lessons Identified'. Item 3 is worthy of discussion more widely.

Bath Dementia Action Alliance (BDAA)

I have received an approach from BDAA. I'm not sure this is applicable to FoBRA as an organization, but it might be for individual members. Find out more at: www.dementiaaction.org.uk/south_west/17986_bath_north_east_somerset .

Rec Trust AGM

The Rec Trust AGM will be held at 1700 on Wed 28th Sept in the Ricoh suite (South stand) at the Rec. From 16th Sept the agenda can be found at www.bathrec.co.uk/blog/news/bath-recreation-ground-trust-annual-general-meeting .

Robin Kerr, draft 4, 14th Sept 16

Annex A

Universities and the Community

In conjunction with the University of Durham, the National Organization of Residents' Association (NORA) recently co-sponsored a National Conference on "University & Community Matters". Delegates came from all over the country including delegates from universities, resident groups and local authorities. The dialogue between speakers and audience exposed several key planning issues.

The considerable expansion in university student numbers – there are now 2.5M in the UK – has led in term-time to an imbalance with the community. It is now the fourth largest UK industry. There is no national planning policy to manage and assess the impact of this industry on the amenity and the sustainability of the environment, and the issue is not covered by the National Planning Policy Framework (NPPF). The temptation to expand the student intake, because it increases income, is often regardless of the impact on the environment and the amenity. Three issues are cogent issues.
1. The provision of student accommodation is uncontrolled. Universities provide some housing for first-year students, but subsequently most students depend on private landlords either in Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO) or Purpose-built Student Accommodation (PBSA), now a burgeoning industry. The problem with HMO is that it reduces the available family housing, and the HMO is empty for up to a third of the year.
University PBSA is used for conferences out of term-time, and is clearly more efficient use of housing.
2. The loss of family homes can be so great in an area that the usual local services – retail shops, schools, medical practices, etc. – disappear, and the associated anti-social behaviour can be unacceptable. Essential police involvement and the loss of Council Tax on student housing are a burden on the community.
3. Delegates regarded the Article 4 Direction (A4D) and Supplementary Planning Document (SPD) mechanisms as inefficient, because it is complex, often piecemeal and short-term, and inadequate to control development.

Solutions

a. There should be a national planning policy to limit student expansion where it is destroying the sustainability of the community. Strict control on student housing is essential to ensure the safety of students and protect the community.
Planning guidance on how to manage student housing is required.
b. A review of Permitted Development Rights is long overdue in particular with reference to HMO and extensions.

Annex B

NOTE OF NORA MEETING WITH DEPARTMENT FOR COMMUNITIES AND LOCAL GOVERNMENT
HELD ON 17TH AUGUST 2016 AT 2 MARSHAM STREET, LONDON

MEETING 1: 14.00 - 15.30 hrs
Present: Steve Quartermain (SQ), Tony Thompson (TT), Angus Hawkins (AH) - DCLG
Alan Shrank (AS), Robin Kerr (RK), John Ashby (JA) - NORA
Apologies: Simon Hill, Jerry Gillen, Alan Grant - NORA

1. Space standards
RK spoke to his précis suggesting that space standards should be made mandatory, with local authorities able to opt out only with justification. He provided a copy of the unsatisfactory letter from the Minister received via his MP on this topic. SQ responded that the issue of space standards is recognised, but Government's view is that there is a balance to be struck between costs and supply but local flexibility is needed to be able to respond to local market needs. Ministers are considering a review of the operation of the space standard. He would welcome submissions of concerns and proposals from NORA to that review. Action NORA.

2. Improper behaviour by developers
JA highlighted reputational damage for the planning system where developers appear to flout the rules. TT gave examples of effective enforcement in some high-profile cases and of the resourcefulness of particular local authorities. He noted that the National Association of Planning Enforcement Officers is gaining a higher profile and he offered to provide contact details. SQ added that Parish Councils and residents' associations are invaluable 'eyes and ears'. Action TT (done).

3. Housing shortage
AS summarised his note setting out how much more land is being granted planning permission for residential development compared with the rate at which houses are being built. The national housing shortage is not the fault of local planning authorities and yet 'planning' is often the scapegoat. AH explained that the need for more housing is at the forefront of the Department's work; there are many factors but a major one is that big sites take years to 'build out'. Another is that financial institutions are more risk-averse. A third is the argument that developers will not build houses if they cannot sell them. There is interest in encouraging greater range and diversity of small/medium builders. SQ re-iterated that there is insufficient approved developable land in the South East of England and that Government is fully committed to increasing the supply of housing.

4. Legislative conflict
AS expanded upon the précis seeking consistency between planning, licensing and highway consents as to hours of operation. AS drew attention to the House of Lords Select Committee currently taking evidence. SQ had attended to show that the Department has given guidance on liaison between sections of a local authority and that the issue is whether the local authorities are heeding that guidance. He remarked that licences can be subjected to review where the Police have concerns.

5. Student-University interface
AS described the recent NORA national conference in Durham on this matter. RK added the situation in Bath and the example of Oxford City Council and Oxford University agreeing a limit on numbers (which example SQ had noted and thought a helpful voluntary approach). TT requested a copy of the conference proceedings.
Action JA.
SQ confirmed that the Department was very aware of the issues and had changed Guidance so that student accommodation in purpose-built accommodation is counted towards meeting Objectively Assessed Need. Local Authorities must now have regard to student housing need. AS asked about a distinction in regulations regarding the registration and licensing of HMO in relation to the number of storeys; he will try to clarify this issue and asked TT also to pursue. Action AS and TT.

6. Brownfield-first
AS wondered whether the Department could require the sequential test notion to be applied to brownfield/greenfield sites as already applies to town centre/out-of-town retail development. SQ considered that the preference for developing brownfield land is in NPPF; local authorities now have lists of brownfield sites with automatic planning consent in principle and are best-placed to get the balance right in local circumstances.

Concluding remarks
All felt that the meeting had been both challenging and constructive in tone, with much common ground. The issues raised are already on the Department's radar and more information regarding student issues and licensing issues would be welcome. The précis arrangement had worked well in making best use of the time available. NORA greatly appreciates the opportunity provided by Steve Quartermain and his colleagues to make representations on behalf of residents' associations across the country.

This led on to a second meeting, on the National Population Explosion (overleaf).

National Population Explosion Meeting: 15.30 - 16.30 hrs
Present: Angus Hawkins (AH) - DCLG
Alan Shrank (AS), Robin Kerr (RK), John Ashby (JA) - NORA
Apologies: Stephen Aldridge - DCLG
Simon Hill, Jerry Gillen, Alan Grant - NORA

AS outlined the range of issues that arise from projections of the national population increasing by 20 million persons over the next 20 years; 8 million by net natural increase and 12 million by net in-migration. The implications for infrastructure and communities are immense - where are they all going to go? Is there any forward planning to accommodate so many extra people?

AH explained that the Office of National Statistics (ONS) provides the population projections at local authority level and DCLG converts these into household projections. These provide the starting point for local plans. In turn, each local plan shows how many people can be accommodated.

In discussion, it was noted that ONS have tended to under-estimate in-migration; that a range of possible scenarios are portrayed by ONS and moderated by an external panel; and that in spite of the wide range of predictions, political practicalities require a single projection to be adopted and published. The future impact of BREXIT and of improving economies in Eastern Europe (for example) could plausibly result in higher out-migration. The profile of in-migrants would have a significant effect on fertility rates, household formation rates and household sizes. The next round of household projections may be expected in July 2018.

"AH added that, whatever debates there are about the accuracy of prediction, actual population increase was likely to be large, and agreed that New Towns (à la Stevenage or Milton Keynes, both of which had turned out to be quite successful) were a possible solution". Ebbsfleet was an early (but rather small) example, to be built on redundant, Government-owned land.

AS concluded that provision of infrastructure, particularly housing, across the country is a major political issue he would wish to discuss with the Minister, and was advised that such an approach should be made through Steve Quartermain.

AS was warmly thanked for engaging most helpfully in the issue.

Annex C

23rd August 2016

Chris Banks,Programme Officer
C/O Banks Solutions
64 Lavinia Way
East Preston
West Sussex
BN16 1EF

Dear Madam Inspector,

Student Housing in Bath

Since the deadline for the receipt of hearings statements, the Federation of Bath Residents' Associations (FoBRA) has been made aware, through the National Organization of Residents' Associations, of new information. We believe it is directly relevant to Matter 13 at your forthcoming Examination in Public (EiP) of Bath's Placemaking Plan (Bath's Universities) and we wish to bring it to your attention, as follows.

There are parallels between Durham and Bath regarding the issue of 'studentification'. Both are relatively small cities with highly successful universities. Durham (population 45,000) hosts 15,000 students, 43% of whom are provided with university-managed accommodation. Bath (population 94,000) hosts 24,000 students, only 25% of whom are provided with university-managed accommodation. Both cities therefore experience severe pressure in terms of demand for private sector student accommodation in the form of Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs) and Private Sector Accommodation Blocks (PSABs).

FoBRA and others have argued in representations and hearings statements that, in the absence of a joined-up Student Housing Strategy, policies B5, SB19 & SB20 in the draft Placemaking Plan which attempt to control the domination of private sector student accommodation across Bath are unlikely to succeed alone in preventing further imbalance of communities and the threat to achieving Government housing targets, particularly affordable housing.

FoBRA now discovers that Durham County Council is preparing a County Durham Local Plan for the second time, having had to withdraw the Plan submitted in April 2014 subsequent to a Judicial Review. The submitted, now withdrawn, County Durham Local Plan offered a policy on student accommodation that drew derision from residents' groups and rejection by the Inspector at Stage 1 of the EiP in October 2014. That policy was found lacking in the effective control of PSABs and HMOs.

The Inspector invited Durham County Council to work with residents' groups, the University and other stakeholders around the EiP table to develop a better policy. This resulted in two submissions - one from Durham County Council, the other from residents' groups.

In February 2015 the Inspector published his Interim Report in which he found the County Council's version potentially unsound, commended the alternative version and advised the County Council to withdraw the Plan. Submission of the new County Durham Local Plan is planned for December 2017.

Residents' groups suggested to Durham County Council that waiting so long for an effective policy on student accommodation would be 'shutting the stable door after the horse had bolted'. Instead, an Interim Policy should be adopted as soon as possible, accompanied by an effective Article 4 Direction. To its credit, Durham County Council agreed, and in July 2015 (after formal consultations) agreed an Interim Policy with almost entirely the wording submitted by residents' groups. An Article 4 Direction limiting HMOs to no more than 10% of properties in a given location (as proposed by FoBRA for Bath) will come into force on 17th September 2016; and significant changes are being made in the treatment of PSABs.

FoBRA regrets the fact that it was unable to bring the above to your attention within the designated timescale, but feels that the principle demonstrated in Durham is highly relevant to Bath's situation; ie that B&NES should heed Durham County Council's lesson and work urgently with stakeholders to produce a workable Student Housing Strategy that is so desperately needed.

Yours sincerely

Robin Kerr, Chairman

Annex D


Unexploded Bomb May 2016 - Lessons Identified by LCA

The following concerns have been raised by the Association about the handling of this event:

1. Exclusion Zone: The exclusion/evacuation zone was too large, leading to too many residents being inconvenienced, some severely. However, no one can accuse the Council or Emergency Services of endangering anyone. The evidence from the YouTube video of a 250Kg bomb explosion indicates that, without the large sandbags , Nos 1-5 LPE would have been severely damaged, had this one detonated.

2. Emergency Accommodation: There were accusations that this was inadequate.

3. Prior Survey: The developer of the site (Acorn) did not conduct surveys of the ground they owned and were intending to excavate, despite the fact that German bombs had landed there during WW2 and the knowledge that about 10% of these did not detonate. Prior ground-penetrating survey apparently takes place in similarly risky areas of London. This could have saved both money and inconvenience, not to mention danger to the public and property.

4. Public Information: Evidence from those in the area suggests that the local BBC News was more timely and accurate than the Council's and Police's press releases and website (see over).

Robin Kerr, LCA Chairman, draft 1 - 23rd Aug 16

Chairman's Report Archive

Chairman's Report 23 Feb 17Chairman’s Report for FoBRA Committee 23rd Feb 17 Leader Meeting 13th Jan 17 Nick and I held another meeting with the Council Leader, Cllr Tim Warren, on 13th Jan. It was also attended by Cabinet members Patrick Anketell-Jones and Martin Veal. We covered the following subjects: 1. Usefulness of these “Leader meetings”. 2. Bath Transport Strategy & Alliance for Transport and the Public Realm, including: a. Alliance presentation 22nd Nov 16 b. Eastern Park and Ride (Cabinet meeting 25th Jan) c. Air Quality (Kerr/Warren letter dated 15th Dec) d. FoBRA letter in Chronicle 22nd Dec on Better Freight delivery. e. FoBRA’s responses to the WoE spatial and transport consultations. f. Council Parking survey. g. City centre visitor permits for hotels, etc., 3. Refuse policy (on agenda for BCF priority setting meeting 12th Jan) 4. Outcomes from Placemaking Plan Examination in Public: a. Student Housing b. Upstream flooding risk 5. Planning a. Upper Oldfield Park. b. “Party Houses”, and FoBRA’s role in campaign. c. Curo’s outline planning application for Foxhill Estate (and FoBRA’s objection and 22nd Dec letter in Chronicle). d. Use of brownfield city sites for housing, rather than students. 6. FoBRA winter reception 17th Jan 17 I shall be happy to expand on any of these subjects at the Committee meeting. National Organization of Residents’ Associations (NORA) Neighbourhood Planning Members will remember that I wrote in my last Report about the Neighbourhood Planning Bill, and the disturbing news of the overthrow of, or challenge to, adopted Neighbourhood Plans in several parts of the country. This will be a principal subject on the agenda of the NORA AGM, to take place on 2nd March, where we shall be represented by our Secretary, Barry Henderson. The guest speaker will be Michael Salmon, Head of Neighbourhood Planning at the Department for Communities and Local Government. Housing White Paper The Government (DCLG) has published for consultation its White paper on Housing, proposing far-reaching changes to the planning system and housing funding. The link to find it is: https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/590043/Fixing_our_broken_housing_market_-_housing_white_paper.pdf . It's a weighty tome, at 104 pages, but it’s important, and there’s a good Executive Summary. Its treatment by the Press so far hasn’t been ecstatic, but it's a major step away from the current appalling housing situation. For example, I have noted the following statement: "For housing associations and other not-for-profit developers, the Government has already announced funding worth a total of £7.1 billion through an expanded and more flexible Affordable Homes Programme. We will provide clarity over future rent levels. In return, we expect them to build significantly more affordable homes over the current Parliament." so we shall be quizzing Curo about this, as they have always claimed that there are no longer any subsidies. FoBRA’s Planning Sub Committee will be studying it and recommending comments to members and to NORA before the 2nd May deadline. Placemaking Plan Members will have seen the comments which FoBRA has made to the Council’s proposals for Main Modifications to the Placemaking Plan, following the Inspector’s conclusions – mainly on Parking and Student Housing. These have now been posted on our website and a meeting has been sought with Officers to hear their reaction to suggestions for amendment. Combined Authority Mayoral Election 4th May The candidates have been chosen for the West of England Combined Authority Mayoral Election, which will take place on 4th May. They are: • Conservative Party: Tim Bowles, South Gloucestershire councillor • Labour Party: Lesley Mansell, NHS manager, Westfield parish councillor and former Peasedown St John parish councillor. • Liberal Democrats: Stephen Williams, former MP for Bristol West and Parliamentary Under Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government. • Green Party: Darren Hall, former Parliamentary candidate in Bristol West. I should be interested to know if you would like me to try to arrange an extra Committee meeting at which we would ask them to come and introduce themselves to us. Council Refuse Policy Further to Rachael’s report on Refuse Policy in Nov 16 (see minutes), the Council issued new instructions to households on 2nd Feb (attached below), so the great roll-out of wheelie bins or gull-sacks seems to be going ahead from 6th Nov. As Rachael points out, this could be disastrous for flatted, Georgian terraces, particularly if accompanied by a shift from weekly to fortnightly black-bag collections. All is not necessarily lost on that front, however, as the Council’s ‘recycle’ webpage, says: “There may be areas in central Bath that are not suitable for every other week collections of rubbish and the Council is working with Ward Councillors, Residents’ Associations and other groups to come up with the right solution”. The Bath City Forum (BCF) was briefed on this by Cllr Martin Veal (Cabinet Member for Community Services) on 2nd Feb, and the BCF’s Environment Group, which I co-chair, with Cllr Dine Romero (LibDem Group Leader), is entering discussions with him, not only to ensure weekly collections remain (in those vulnerable streets), but also greatly to improve their cleanliness and discipline. This has been discussed with the BCF Chairman too. Flooding Risk above Churchill Bridge The present arrangement (whereby 105 homes which happen to lie between Churchill and Midland Bridges are getting flood protection through the Bath Quays Waterside Project, but ~2000 homes further upstream (but still within Bath) are not, is grossly unfair. There have been two meetings of the Abbey Ward Flood Group since my briefing of the last Committee on this Flooding Risk (see minutes). Despite high level representation at it, no solution has been offered by the Council or the Environment Agency, so Cllr Romero (see above) has agreed with me that this should be taken up by the BCF’s Environment Group, and I have discussed it with the BCF Chairman. Without letting the Council off the hook, solutions are not thick on the ground and the costs are very high. Police Independent Advisory Group (IAG) I serve on the Police IAG, and have attended two of its meetings since my last report, the second of which was attended by Sue Mountstevens, our Police and Crime Commissioner. We discussed: conclusions from the closure of the Manvers Police Station; rough sleepers; public lavatories; the recent large drugs operation in Bath; hate crime; and use of Tasers. I can expand on these items at the Committee meeting if members wish. Modern Tram and Cable Car Systems for Bath? As members may know, separate groups are advocating a cable car connecting Foxhill to the city centre, and reintroduction of trams, both of them as part of a modern transport mix here. Patrick will expand on these at the Committee meeting. World Heritage Site Steering Group Nick has been our representative on the World Heritage Site Steering Group since he became our Vice Chairman, and, during that time, Peter Metcalfe has chaired the Group. Peter has now come to the end of his period of office, and the Council is advertising for a replacement. If anyone is interested, please speak to our Secretary, Barry Henderson. Sydney Gardens Upgrade The team which manages Sydney Gardens (B&NES, the Friends of Sydney Gardens, local Residents’ Associations and the Holburne Museum) has successfully bid for a £332K grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund, as part of a £3.6M refurbishment. Buses in Upper Oldfield Park Members will remember an impassioned plea at the November Committee from the representatives of Upper Oldfield Park RA, as they sought to join FoBRA, for help in persuading the Authorities to divert double decker buses away from their street, as they were causing great congestion. You will be glad to hear that their campaign has been successful, aided to a small extent by FoBRA. Streetlife Members may be familiar with Streetlife, the internet based UK local community networks. There are at least seven such groupings in Bath. They aim to help people make connections with their neighbours, to share local news, recommendations and resources. Earlier this month Streetlife was acquired by its US equivalent, Nextdoor, and so this will be its name from now on. The web link at the time of writing is www.streetlife.com/Bath Shrub Attack? One of our members tells me that shrubs in our parks and green spaces are being chopped to the ground and many trees seem to be cut down at random. This has been carried out on the banks below Camden Crescent; despite the trees having been planted there to stop soil erosion. The shrubs absorb traffic fumes, reduce traffic noise and provide food and cover for wildlife, including birds. They also look attractive! This is happening in Hedgemead Park, the Botanic Gardens in Victoria Park, and Sydney Gardens too. Robin Kerr, draft 2, 20th Feb 17   Changes to your rubbish collection service from 6 November 2017 What is changing? Most households across Bath and North East Somerset will be changing to every other week collection for their rubbish from 6 November. We will be providing a 140 litre wheeled bin for the storage and collection of rubbish. We realise that one size does not fit all, so in a small number of cases where a 140 litre wheeled bin is not suitable for your property, or family situation, we may provide a larger bin or a re-useable rubbish bag to contain rubbish for collection. Recycling collections, including food waste will remain weekly and our emphasis will be on encouraging you to use this weekly service to its full potential. Over 70%of UK councils including all our neighbours in Bristol, North Somerset, Somerset, Wiltshire and South Gloucestershire, are already running every other week collections for rubbish (in wheeled bins) and weekly recycling collections. They are seeing the benefits including reduced street mess, cost efficiencies and collecting more recycling (instead of rubbish). Collection days and times may change as we will need to redesign the routes so that they are as efficient as possible. Look out for your letter in March From 9-13 March all households will be sent a personalised letter informing them how the changes will affect them. To reduce postage costs, most letters will be included in the envelope with your Council Tax Bill. This letter will let you know whether we have allocated your property a wheeled bin or re-useable rubbish bag for rubbish collection, and the frequency of your rubbish collection. The letter is for information and no response is needed. If you are concerned that the container we have allocated is not appropriate for your specific property, or if despite recycling all you can, you feel that your household will not manage with the allocated container you can complete an online query form. We will write separately to residents who • live in a registered House of Multiple Occupancy (HMO) • are currently registered for an Assisted Collection (those who require the help of our crews to carry their rubbish and/or recycling to an agreed collection point). You will be asked to complete a form to update your details to re-apply for an assisted collection if you still need help. For some residents wheeled bins will be much easier to manage. Why are we introducing the changes? 1. To keep our streets cleaner Containing rubbish in a bin or bag will prevent animals and birds ripping open bags and making a mess which is unpleasant for everyone and costs us to clear up. 2. To recycle more We have a very comprehensive recycling collection where you can already recycle 17 different types of household waste every week. We know that some residents can recycle more than they are currently doing – about 75% of a household’s waste can be recycled using the current collections, but we still find that over half of an average rubbish bag consists of items that could have been recycled. Our local research shows that if you recycle all you can you will still have space left in your rubbish bin when collected every other week. The change will help to encourage everyone to use their food recycling collection – only about 50% of households currently use this. About a third of the waste in black sacks currently is food. 3. To save money Every lorry load of waste costs £1000 to dispose of whilst every lorry load of recycling earns an income of £100, so reducing the amount put out as rubbish is essential. Find out more www.bathnes.gov.uk/recycle Our website is being updated as details are confirmed and more FAQs added so please check back here www.bathnes.gov.uk/recycle for updates. • Like our facebook page www.facebook.com/recyleforbathnes to receive updates and tips to recycle more. • Get ready for the change – you can order extra free recycling containers online www.bathnes.gov.uk/orderacontainer • View the bins and re-useable rubbish bags and get advice and tips from our Waste Campaigns Team to help you recycle all you can to get ready for the change at our community roadshows www.bathnes.gov.uk/roadshows • Book a free talk for your community group - contact wastecampaigns@bathnes.gov.uk to show you how to make the best use of the recycling service, including practical tips to help your get ready for the change. • We need residents to star in our social media campaign to to encourage others to recycle more. We want your stories, photos, videos and recycling tips to share with others and are keen to hear from individuals and groups – including schools, families, housemates, work groups – how do you do it in your home/school/workplace? Find out more http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/services/bins-rubbish-and-recycling/recycling-and-rubbish-collections/latest-recycling-updates
Chairman's Report 15th Nov 2016
Chairman's Report 20th Sept 16
Chairman's Report 13 July 16
Chairman's AGM Report 17th May 16
Chairman's Report 17th May 16
Chairman's Report 7th April 2016
Chairman's Report 4th Feb 2016
12th November 2015
Chairman's Report 10th Sept 15
Chairman's Report 30 July 15
AGM Report May 15
May 15
Chairman's Report - Mar 15
Chairman's Report Jan 15
Chairman's Report Nov 2014
Chairman's Report Sept 2014
Chairman's Report July 2014
Chairman's Report May 2014
Chairman's Report Mar 2014
Chairman's Report Jan 2014
Chairman's Report November 2013
Chairman's Report October 2013